Learn About the Benefits of Stainless-Steel Benches and Sinks
Choosing the right equipment, such as stainless-steel benches, for a commercial kitchen is just as important as selecting the right menu to serve your customers. Regardless of the type of establishment you run, stainless steel is ideal for your sinks, benches, tables, line equipment, and more. Stainless steel is cost-effective, durable, sanitary, and attractive – all the things you want when you’re investing in commercial kitchen equipment that you’ll be using for years to come. You can find the stainless-steel equipment you need at Cafestainless.
Benefits of a Flatpack Stainless Steel Bench
Stainless steel is attractive, durable, and food-safe, making it ideal for many different applications. This iron alloy is known for its many advantages over other materials. A metal work table with wheels or stainless steel benchtop can make a convenient and valuable addition to your commercial kitchen. Here are some of the specific advantages of this material.
- Strength. The stainless steel used in commercial applications is known for its superior strength. Stainless steel is strong enough to sustain heavy loads, particularly advantageous if you need to place or store heavy items on your benchtops or stainless table. If you need a heavy-duty material that will resist wear and tear, stainless steel is an optimal choice.
- Durability. Stainless steel is highly resistant to corrosion thanks to its chromium content. It prevents the metal from rusting, allowing it to maintain its strength and structural integrity, and appearance over time in various environments, including those where moisture is prevalent. This material also has impressive impact resistance, which means that if you drop a heavy object onto it, it will likely remain perfectly functional.
- Heat resistance. Stainless steel can withstand extremely high temperatures – up to and above 1,300 degrees Celsius – and is inherently fire-resistant. That means you won’t have to worry about high-heat tasks near your stainless-steel bench – even very high heat will not damage its surface. This property makes stainless steel perfect for commercial kitchens, as chefs and line cooks can place hot cookware directly on the bench without worrying about damage.
- Low maintenance needs. Stainless steel is low-maintenance and very easy to keep clean. Dirt, grime, and chemical residues won’t adhere to its surface, so you can use almost any household cleaning product on your stainless work bench without worry. A daily scrub is usually all that your stainless-steel sink and bench will need, along with the occasional rub with baking soda to remove stains.
- Modern appearance. While stainless steel is highly practical, that isn’t the only reason to choose it for your commercial kitchen. If you want your space to look sleek and modern, stainless steel is a perfect choice. Whether brushed or polished, it has an aesthetically pleasing gleam and classic style that complements newer fixtures in any commercial kitchen.
What You Should Know About Commercial Stainless-Steel Benches
Most people have heard of stainless steel, but how much do you really know about it? Whether you are shopping for stainless steel benches with sinks or a flat pack workbench, you can ensure that it lasts as long as possible by knowing a few basic things about this material and how to care for it.
- Stainless steel is not just one metal. “Stainless steel” is a term used to refer to a group of iron-based alloys that contain a certain amount of chromium. The chromium content (minimum 1035%) is what makes stainless steel so resistant to corrosion. Stainless steel can contain only a maximum of 1.2% carbon – but beyond that, it may include numerous other elements in various amounts, including silicon, nickel, titanium, manganese, nitrogen, and others. The key takeaway is that stainless steel is a combination of metals and other elements, and it's these combinations that give this material its various properties.
- Stainless steel can rust. While stainless steel is highly resistant to corrosion, that doesn’t mean that it’s corrosion-proof. You should also know that rust is just one of the different types of decay. In a commercial kitchen, your stainless steel work bench may be exposed to any number of chemicals that can lead to corrosion. “Pitting” is one common type of weathering that can occur when a stainless-steel surface is exposed to corrosive agents for too long. This corrosion appears as tiny pits on the surface of the metal, and it can affect the appearance and performance of your sink or bench. You can avoid deterioration by choosing the right kind of stainless steel for the application and caring for it properly.
- Stainless steel is easy to clean. As we’ve discussed, stainless steel is incredibly easy to clean. However, that doesn’t mean that you can neglect cleaning tasks day after day. To avoid the breakdown of the passive chromium layer, proper cleaning is critical. A good rule of thumb is to follow the manufacturer’s cleaning instructions for your product. In the absence of other guidance, you can usually give your stainless steel a daily scrub with a mild cleanser and soft cloth to keep it in good shape. Avoid abrasive cleaners, as these can scratch the surface of your stainless-steel work surface. If you want to remove fingerprints or smudges to maximise shine, you can try simply buffing with a soft, dry cloth.
As a restaurant or food service worker, you likely work with stainless steel daily. Whether it’s in your sink, your bench, a work table, a shelf, or even a line of flatware, stainless steel is popular across all aspects of a commercial kitchen. At Cafestainless, we provide sinks, benches, shelving, and other work surfaces appropriate for commercial kitchens.
We supply our products to customers in Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra, Adelaide, Hobart, Darwin, and throughout Australia. In addition to our stainless steel surfaces, we also offer various products, including hand sanitiser dispensers, exhaust canopies, and cool room storage. If you have any questions or comments for us, don’t hesitate to contact us here.